Dessert can be easy and delicious. Chocolate Crumb Bars are easy to make and taste great. If you love chocolate these are a must make!
I love sharing quick and easy recipes, including dessert recipes.
Desserts can be time consuming to make. We all need a fancy, show stopping dessert once in a while, but when it comes to the everyday dessert, we need quick and easy.
The dessert recipes people use the most are the ones that can be made quickly with ingredients they always have on hand.
We need the type of recipes that can be made any day of the week. The kind that you can take to a church dinner, a picnic, share with a friend, or make quickly for weekend company.
We also want it to taste great!
This recipe for chocolate crumb bars is all of those things. It is easy to make, contains basic ingredients, and taste great.
Did I mention that they can also be made gluten free? In fact, the gluten free version is so good that no one will know that they are gluten free.
I made these recently for my husband’s office meeting and everyone loved them. The entire pan was gone in no time. That is a sign of a great recipe.
I will totally admit that this recipe is not original to me. I adapted it from a recipe in an old Nestle Toll House cookbook that I have. Some of my favorite recipes are from cookbooks that I have had for years.
This recipe is an example of that. Some of my favorite and most used dessert recipes come from my Nestle Toll House cookbooks.
Most of the Toll House cookbooks that I have are no longer available, which is why I had to share this recipe with you.
Love chocolate? Here are a few of our favorite chocolate desserts:
- Four Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Raspberry Pie
- Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Homemade Chocolate Pudding
- Chocolate Cookie Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup flour ( for the gluten free version use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix beat butter until creamy. Add flour, sugar, and salt until mixture is slightly crumbly. Pres 2 cups of the mixture into prepared pan. Reserve remaining mixture for the topping.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Do not over bake.
- Place 1 cup chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in a microwave proof bowl. Heat for 30 seconds on 50% power. Stir and repeat until chocolate is melted. (You can also heat chocolate and condensed milk in a saucepan over low heat until melted.)
- Stir vanilla into chocolate mixture and spread over crust.
- Mix remaining 1 cup chocolate chips into remaining crust mixture.
- Sprinkle over chocolate and press slightly to form a top crust. It won't completely cover the mixture. It is more of a crumb like topping.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.
You can use any gluten free flour blend for the flour, but I have only tried it with Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 flour blend.
If you are making a gluten free version be sure to use gluten free chocolate chips. Most are, but always read labels.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g