The combination of raspberries and chocolate in this simple slow cooked dessert is delicious!
I will just start off by saying that this dessert is not pretty. It was really hard to photograph and I almost did not share it, but it was so good that I knew I had to share it. It may not be pretty, but it is delicious!
There are many names for this basic dessert that is part pudding part cake. It is often called hot fudge cake, hot fudge sundae cake, chocolate cobbler, chocolate pudding cake, and I am sure a few other names that I am forgetting. Whatever you call it, it is delicious!
Today I am changing it up a little by adding some raspberries. Raspberries and chocolate are the perfect combination!
The original chocolate recipe really doesn’t not need anything added. It is great on its own, but since raspberries and chocolate are a classic combination I knew I needed to give it a try with some raspberries added.
Once I tried this I wondered why I had never thought to try it before. It is so good! When this bakes it gives you a layer of pudding and a layer of cake.
Adding the raspberries to that cake and pudding takes the flavor to a whole new level. It is part chocolate pudding and part chocolate raspberry cake. So very good!
- 1 cup flour ( Use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour for a gluten free version )
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen works
- Mix flour, regular sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add milk, oil, and vanilla and stir just until smooth.
- Gently stir raspberries into batter.
- Spread the batter into a greased 3 quart, or about that size, crock pot.
- In a bowl mix together the brown sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, and the hot water and pour evenly over the cake batter.
- Cook on high for 2- 2 1/2 hours. Mine took about 2 hrs.
- Turn off slow cooker and let sit about 15- 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 3g