If you like mounds candy bars as much as I do, than this pie is for you.
The first time I tasted this pie it reminded me of a giant mounds bar. It is so rich and creamy and very good.
The original title for this pie was Crisp Coconut and Chocolate Pie, but it reminds me so much of a mounds bar that we call it mounds bar pie.
And this pie is perfect for those of you afraid of tackling a regular pie crust. The coconut in this is the crust, which makes it a very quick and easy pie crust to make.
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 6 cups of shredded coconut
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces of chocolate chips ( you can use dark or semi sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor combine butter with 3 cups of coconut. Pulsing until a ball forms. This takes about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a bowl and add remaining coconut. Mix together.
- Press into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Place a foil ring around the edge to prevent over browning. (Basically you need to just wrap foil around the edge of the crust, not the whole crust)
- Bake 10 minutes and removed foil.
- Bake 4-6 minutes more or until edges are lightly browned.
- Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Place chocolate in a bowl and pour hot cream over chocolate.
- Let sit 10 minutes, then stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is combined.
- Pour into coconut crust. Refrigerate until the filling is set, about 2-4 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 5gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Adapted from Martha Stewart’s New Pies and Tarts