This easy to make gluten free chocolate bread is also dairy free!
Gluten free can be easy and delicious. It can also be food that everyone enjoys.
This chocolate bread is based on one of our favorite gluten free chocolate cake recipes. So this gluten free chocolate bread is basically cake made in a loaf pan. That makes it a dessert. Although my son has been known to eat it for breakfast.
I made this bread during the holidays and served it to company and no one knew that it was gluten free until I told them it was.
I sliced the breads up and served them on a big platter. It made for a simple, yet impressive dessert to set out.
One of the reasons that I like to make dessert breads like this is that they freeze really well. When I make a recipe I can easily freeze a loaf to use later.
When we have company, or I need a dessert to take somewhere, I can just take it out of the freezer, slice, and serve.
Can you use a gluten free blend in gluten free quick breads?
I get asked that question a lot and the answer is that it depends.
The reality is that I have found that in order to get the best desserts you need individual gluten free flours not blends. That is against popular opinion but I have found it true more times than not.
Yes, a blend will get you good results. Using the individual flours will get you the best results. They will get you a dessert that will have people coming back for more.
For this recipe it is worth it to make it just as it is written with the individual flours.
Is gluten free chocolate bread dairy free?
Yes, this gluten free chocolate bread is dairy free as long as you use dairy free chocolate chips.
Is the mayonnaise necessary in this recipe?
Yes, you need the mayonnaise. It is the fat in the recipe. There is no butter or oil in this recipe. The mayo is the secret ingredient that keeps this bread moist and delicious. It is the ingredient that helps make this so good that no one will know it is gluten free.
- 1 cup white rice flour
- ½ cup sweet rice flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ⅔ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⅓ cups water
- 1 cup chocolate chips, optional but good.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two loaf pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine rice flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a bowl using a mixer, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla until well combined. About 3 minutes.
- Beat in mayonnaise.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Add half of the water and mix just until combined. Add remaining and flour alternating between flour and water. End with flour mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Spread batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
If you are dairy free and add chocolate chips be sure that the chocolate chips are dairy free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g