Mexican Cornbread is an easy and delicious way to change up your basic cornbread.
You can also make cornbread more of a modern recipe by adding cheese, chilis, or seasonings.
This recipe for Mexican Cornbread that I am sharing is a delicious version of cornbread full of corn, cheese, chili, and more.
What is Mexican cornbread?
Mexican cornbread is cornbread with Mexican or Tex-Mex flavors added. Usually green chilis or another type of chili. It often contains cheese and sometimes Mexican type seasonings.
What do you serve cornbread with?
Cornbread can be eaten on its own, but it is best with a bowl of beans, soup, or chili.
Pillsbury Mexican Cornbread Recipe
This recipe actually comes from a cookbook that I have had for over twenty years.
I bought this Pillsbury Best Muffins and Quick Breads cookbook back in 1999 when it was first published. It has been a favorite ever since. It is my go to cookbook when I want a muffin or quick bread recipe.
You can no longer get this cookbook unless you can find it used, which is why I decided to share the recipe with you today. It is not a recipe that you can find yourself unless you happen to find this cookbook at a used bookstore or sale.
The recipe calls for you to bake this in a casserole dish, but I love to cook cornbread in a cast iron pan so that is what I used. Cooking the cornbread in a cast iron pan gives it a crispy crust that is so good!
Can I make Mexican cornbread gluten free?
Yes, this recipe works great gluten free. I use gluten free cornmeal and Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend. Other gluten free blends may work, but I have only tried it with Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 - 8.25 ounce can creamed corn
- 1 - 4 ounce can chopped green chilis
- 1 cup cornmeal ( for gluten free use gluten free cornmeal)
- 1 cup flour ( or use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gf blend)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl combine cheese, buttermilk, oil, eggs, corn, and chilis. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Spread into a cast iron pan or a greased 8x8 pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
To make gluten free use gluten free cornbread and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 370mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g